Welcome to the "How To" Page
This page is designed to point you towards the many resources that our network holds to get you the skills you need. We hope you'll share yours!
How to run a press campaign for your organization
Fundraise For Your Alternative Media Project
- Read the step by step guide from Philadelphia's Prometheus Radio Project on running a fundraising campaign for your local radio station.
- Take a quick (and free) online course in how to write grant proposals from the The Foundation Center.
Start Your Own Radio Station
- Prometheus Radio Project shows you the first steps, getting you on your way to your own Low Power FM station. Click here to learn more.
- Want to make sure you make the most effective campaign tool possible? Check out xxxx to help you define what your audience is.
- If you can say it in 30 seconds or less, a Public Service Announcement might be right for you. Check out MNN's curriculum to learn the basics of making a good PSA.
- Download a free copy of "Video for Change: A Guide for Advocacy and Activism." Based on the work of WITNESS and other leading video advocates worldwide, this book is a must-read for human rights, environmental, and social justice organizations wanting to use video in their work.
- Learn some basic tips from xxx on how to use and operate a video camera to get footage you can use for your campaign.
- Haz cliq aqui para "Tips & Techniques" en Español.
Distribute Your Own Video
- A step by step lesson from the good folks at Mediarights.org.
- Not sure what to do with your video after it's done? Visit our "Distribution Outlets" page for a list of public access stations, local film and video festivals and where to find national distribution opportunities.
- Find out who owns the media in your community by visiting the Media Tracker created by the Center for Public Integrity.
- Hear Us Now.org is a web site that breaks down the complicated media ownership and reform bills and let's us know what those legislators and media companies are really trying to do.